Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Speeches For Church Anniversary

Interview with Helga Stevens


A DEAF SECONDED Belgian-PARLIAMENT
How to politics and to come to Parliament?
After graduating, 1996, I worked in a lawyer's office, where my father works. During this time, we have staff in the field of politics. We were looking for people with disabilities and founded by wheelchair, blind, deaf and other working group. We have worked and developed us. 1999 waren dann die Wahlen. In 1999, then the election.

I am interested primarily in two areas: the Senate and the House. I was ready for both areas to support and ran to him. Then my name was on the ballot with the other nine candidates. Ans Win did not think and to my surprise, 10,000 voters have voted for me. For the first time in the history of deaf people as a positive signal. I worked in working groups, where, over time, some problems were identified: a discussion in the party was founded in 2001 and a page break. In dieser At that time, my priorities in my work and my child EUD. The year 2003 was the re-election to the Senate and the House. On one hand, a divided party once asked me if I would restart.

I was considering, and was prepared under the condition that the site will also support, especially in public places. They gave me the OK, or I will sit as deputies in the parliament, remained open because the party is off to a new page to get the names. Thanks to the new page name is my risk if they ever even MPs will gain seats. But I was optimistic. The elections have lost. In 2004, then parliamentary elections, and the third time I asked if I was running. My time would be difficult: the one I wanted to spend time with my baby, on the other hand need policy and also my schedule a reasonable time frame. My condition that they give me a good job and do not give too many points of tasks, although there were no guarantees, but opportunities should be negotiated.

Party was able to imagine. I discussed everything with my partner and my family, and they agreed. My site has gained a good fourth place in the election! Since I work in Parliament until 2004. After the election, but failed to take a little time I had on.


What were the beginnings for you in Parliament?
to work in the parliament was obviously new to me, but I was happy. Many deaf women have elected me, that's a good sign. I have a lot of compliments from the outside even split of the Christian Democratic Party congratulated me. It was important not to lose ground, but continue to work with the parties and a little forward. Everything was positive. I suggested in a letter to the parliamentary office, that in the future, perhaps increasingly deaf in parliament will work - and I wonder how it will look with Dolmetscheinsetzung. The answer was that we'll get everything you need, as well as interpretation. There was no discussion. Also prima! So great!


What is your working day like?
Equality in the workplace, such as telephone service is very important. I am treated with listeners. But it is clear that the deaf "different" work, for example, hearing calls for four hours, which is not for me. I can not walk all day with about an interpreter. Basically, my assistant, for me, all telephone calls made. In the case of major disasters, I will spontaneously accompanied by a translator or my assistant. Contacts must be maintained, whether by phone or by other means.


How does the Parliament of the situation?
At first everyone was quite sure how this would be contrary to the interpreter? For the first time during the situation. We knew that this was for the new Parliament. So we had to consider where and how you can put an interpreter. The first request was that I am in the middle row of seats and sit on the stairs at Stenographin interpreter belongs. I was not shocked by the proposal because the speaker would be on the podium in the middle of Parliament and my translator stood on the stairs.

Then came two months of testing with the interpretation of the video monitor. This proposal was better than the first. A good solution for me to find. Unfortunately, the quality of the video monitor is not good and had no direct contact with interpreters. One was the proximity of the video monitor to my eyes to strain, the second was my distance from the speakers to large. This was then changed. New ideas were presented at the office. The position of the translator should be directly under the main speaker at a desk. Some wanted to be not quite, but this position was ćwiczonego and was the best option. Since there is an interpreter. Initially, all the permanent staff of curiosity, and later was used. Also, a positive development!


how it works internally with the co-operation?
Cooperation is good, but please do not forget about my place in the office is becoming smaller. Earlier we were six, now seven. I thought at first, a little "work" would be good enough in a large room, and I with my colleagues may be more intense, more closely with each other and talk to them directly. I also with colleagues from the Liberal, Social and Christian Democratic parties. They are not hostile confrontations before, everything is positive.


If there are several deaf people in politics?
We have contacts to people who are deaf in the world of politicians. Until recently, we have worked closely representative of Ireland, which is now the time is no longer possible. In addition, the South African Druchen Wilma, and other contacts. As far as I know, there is currently the only South African and I am active in politics. In England there is an older man who hears poorly, and the Lord, but something else. In Italy, it was not representative, but not for long, but it was active. Ah, but in Greece, a deaf woman in the November / December (2007) won the elections, it is also positive news.


What were the main topics during the last three years?
positive results, the recognition of sign language with them, as suggested in Parliament. Youth Club of the Deaf and DEAF ACTION front. DEAF ACTION FRONT collected 70,000 signatures to the petition, and Topaktion! Previously, we have collected signatures from 10,000 to 15,000 but 70,000 signatures, measures of success! The petition was then submitted to Parliament and the president was in my struggle for the recognition of sign language is a great support. Had this great petition was not the case, everything will not come so easily. People involved in the recognition of sign language, were ready to sign into law in parliament to save. Pages

me, even without the delays can support. The petition was published in January and February and has received recognition in April by! Everyone was surprised at the rapid development, positive attitude and the beginning of translators in Parliament. By viewing the interpretation of the tasks in the parliament, they can also better understand the sign language is different, but the language. The result was beklatscht, great feeling of surprise. Even the deaf can watch the event, during the election, there were no barriers exist. The feeling was exhilarating.


Is there a big media HYPE given to you?
elections were held in June 2004. Then I wanted to British television and later even in a BBC interview a English correspondent. The Spaniards took me even filmed in the elections, and in large newspapers had written about me. BBC took me to the German "since, instead of listening" too. They were very positive experience. At the World Congress of the Deaf in Madrid, I met a young girl who approached me that I had seen on television. She was aware that the work in the parliament. A beautiful thing!


What do you want in the future?
I would say that people, deaf or not, and does not accept any barriers to their goals will be enforced. You create something! Certainly!

Thank you.

Flash Player

0 comments:

Post a Comment